Operators at the telephone exchange
From the Minnesota Historical Society

Buildings & Their Condition

Building 53: Gymnasium/Service Club
Built: 1903
Mothballed in fall of 2006

Building 54: Medical Detachment Barracks
Built: 1939

Building 55: Hospital
Built: 1898
Roof is in bad shape and sections have collapsed
Used into the 1970s

Building 56: Hospital Steward's Quarters
Built: 1900
Home of the head non-commissioned officer in charge of the hospital

Building 57: Band Barracks
Built: 1903
The fact that there was a barracks just for the band highlights the importance of the post. It housed 28 musicians.

Building 62: Dead House
Built: 1905
Later converted to non-commissioned officer's quarters. Wouldn't you love to live there?

Building 63: Quartermaster Shops
Built: 1879-80
Building has collapsed and is beyond repair

Building 64: Fire Station
Built: 1903
Housed two fire engines

Building 65: Guard House
Built: 1891
Could house up to 40 prisoners. In use into the 1980s.

Building 66: Telephone Exchange
Built: 1927
Photo at the top of this page is from the Telephone Exchange building

Building 67: Administration Building
Built: 1879-80
The clock mechanism is still in working order even though the faces are missing or damaged. Does anyone know the person or organization that maintains it?

Building 76: Civilian Employees' Quarters
Built: 1879-80
Converted to house non-commissioned officers and their families

Buildings 101 - 103: Barracks
Built: 1885
There used to be one more barrack of this type and two square shaped barracks farther down the street where the airport now lies. Each building housed 236 men or a little more than a company. At 43,800 square feet, the buildings represent some of the biggest redevelopment challenges on the site.

They were the first barracks on the post that had indoor plumbing and central heating.

Building 112: Bakery
Built: 1891
Converted to house non-commissioned officers and their families

Buildings 151: Bachelor Officer's Quarters
Built: 1904
Originally outfitted with a wooden porch, a concrete porch was added in the 1930s by WPA workers

Buildings 152 - 161: Officer's Quarters
Built: 1879 - 1905
Some are single family homes and some duplexes. Originally there were 12 more buildings along Taylor Avenue; They were torn down in 1969 to make way for airport expansion.

Building 175: Golf Course Clubhouse
Built: 1940
Still in use as the golf course's clubhouse

Building 201: Cavalry Drill House
Built: 1907
This massive building is currently for sale by the Minneapolis Park Board and is one of the most visible structures in its spot along Highway 55.

Originally built so the cavalry could drill during our "balmy" Minnesota winters, it housed 850 soldiers at a time during WWII.

Building 205 & 206: Artillery Workshops
Built: 1903

Building 210: Shops
Built: 1907

Buildings 211 & 214: Quartermaster Stables
Built: 1909 & 1910
Several stables burned in a fire in 1939, killing many of the horses and prompting the reassignment of the artillery

Building 215: Quartermaster Gas Station
Built: 1932

Building 217: Quartermaster Warehouse
Built: 1880
At one time it had a loading dock and wagon scale. Possibly the oldest building left on the upper post.

Building 218: Forage House
Built: 1894
The building held 40 tons of hay and 50 tons of oats for the Post's horses

Building 219: Wheelwright Shop
Built: 1895
Used to repair cannon wheels. Currently in use as storage.

Building 220: Post Exchange Oil & Gas Station
Built: 1932
Still in service

Building 222: Quartermaster Warehouse
Built: 1904
Two train tracks ran to the back of the building to ease unloading

Building 223: Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Commissary Warehouse
Built: 1935

Building 224: Forage House/Utility Shops & Warehouse
Built: 1902

Building 225: Paint House
Built: unknown
Used to store paint and other flamables away from other buildings

Building 227: Non-commissioned Officer's Quarters
Built: 1904

Building 229: Non-commissioned Officer's Quarters
Built: 1907
Housed four families

Building 237: Powder Magazine/Grain Shed
Built: 1904
Built of corrugated iron, the walls are designed to blow without bringing the roof down should there be an explosion

Building 239: Mineral Oil House
Built: 1892
Held 10,000 gallons of oil to light the post's lamps in the days before electric lighting

Building 395: Officers' Club
Built: 1934

Then & Now Photographs

Unit Photos and Other Miscellaneous Items